Holiday Season 2013 is kicking into high gear!
What’s to do in the Toledo area for the Holidays? Check out a few season starters that made the Danberry Holiday To-Do List!
The Lights Before Christmas!
2 Hippo Way
Toledo , OH
• The electrical spectacle known as the Dancing Lights and the 85-foot Norway Spruce are decorated with all wide-angle LED lights.
•The Lights Before Christmas began in 1986 with 50,000 lights and an attendance of 71,000 visitors; the record attendance for a Lights Before Christmas season was 2006, with 178,177 visitors.
• The Toledo Zoo began using energy-efficient LED lights in 2002. Today, over half our lights are LEDs.
• A core crew of 12-15 employees from the Zoo’s Grounds Department starts hanging lights during the first week of September each year.
• There are two techniques are used to hang lights: draping and wrapping. If all the lights were strung end-to-end, they would reach nearly 70 miles.
• Nearly 50,000 feet of extension cords are used—that’s almost 10 miles!
• The Zoo makes more than 2,700 pounds of fudge during the Lights Before Christmas, along with about 6,800 gallons of hot chocolate, more than 6,000 cinnamon pretzels, and 3,800+ gingerbread men.
• After the Lights Before Christmas, it takes about 2 months to take down all the lights, then sort and store them for the following year.
November 15 – December 31
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
Sunday – Thursday: 3-8pm (Zoo closes at 9pm)
Friday and Saturday: 3-9pm (Zoo closes at 10pm)
Wolcott House Christmas Tours!
Where: Wolcott House Museum Complex - 1035 River Rd. - Maumee , OH
Come and enjoy the historic Wolcott House where every room is lavishly decorated for the Christmas holidays. T’was The Night Before Christmas is the featured exhibit this holiday and children and adults will delight in the old fashioned toys, games, Santas and more. Elegant gowns from the nineteenth century will also be on display as well as a selection of Thomas Nast prints.
Tours are 12:30pm & 2:30pm starting November 14 and running through December 29. Adults: $5, seniors:$4, students $1.50. Tickets available in the gift shop. For group tours call 419-893-9602. Visit our website at www.wolcotthouse.org for more information on the complex.
Shrek, The Musical!
Date: November 21 – 24, 2013
Performances Nov 21, 22 & 23 at 7:30 pm and Nov 23 & 24 at 2:30 pm
Sylvania Northview HS Performing Arts Center
5403 Silica Drive
Sylvania, Ohio 43560
Contact: Jennifer Vizina
Shrek, the beloved ogre of movie fame, will come to life on the stage this fall in Sylvania as Northview High School presents Shrek The Musical.
The production will be a treat for the eyes and the ears.
Shrek The Musical, based on the Oscar-winning DreamWorks film that started it all, brings the hilarious story of everyone’s favorite ogre to dazzling new life on the stage.
Disney on Ice, Passport To Adventure Tickets!
Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at 7:00PM
Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 7:00PM
Friday, December 6, 2013 at 7:00PM
Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:00PM or later show at 5:00PM
Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 1:00PM or later show at 5:00PM
500 Jefferson Avenue
Toledo, OH 43604
Embark on the ultimate sightseeing vacation with all your favorite Disney characters in Disney On Ice presents Passport to Adventure. Join Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Daisy on a journey to the magical worlds of Disney’s The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan and Lilo & Stitch. You’ll explore the Pride Lands with Simba, Timon and Pumbaa; voyage under the sea with Ariel and all her aquatic friends; tour London with Peter Pan and Wendy, before flying to Never Land; and travel to Hawaii to visit Lilo and Stitch. Upbeat music, lovable characters and exciting destinations make Disney On Ice presents Passport to Adventure a vacation you’ll never forget.
For more area holiday events click here!